When your tile gets outdated, replacing it can be very costly to replace it. Rather than replacing it, if it's still in good shape, you can paint it. You can paint the tile all one color, or you can paint them with a stencil to paint your tile with a pattern. Painting tile can be a big job, especially if you have a lot of tiles that need painting. Tiles need to be painted carefully, so it doesn't just scrape off, or doesn't get damaged with moisture. This is a job that needs to be done properly to ensure you don't have any issues with your paint job. Read on for tips on how to paint tiles.
Tools for the Job
- Epoxy paint
1. To start, you're going to need to clean and inspect the tile you want to paint. Clean the tile and the grout thoroughly. The tile should also be inspected for any damage. If you have a lot of broken tiles, you may not want to paint them, you should replace your tile instead. Small, minor imperfections can be filled in with paintable caulk and the excess caulk can be removed with a scraper.
2. Once your tile is repaired and cleaned, you should use a piece of sandpaper to rough up the surface of the tile. Roughing up the surface will help remove the shine on the tile and can also help get the paint to adhere to your tile. Once you have roughed up the tile, you can wipe it clean to remove the sanding dust.
3. Next, you need to apply primer to your tile. The primer also helps the paint adhere to your tile. It can also protect your paint from simply scraping off. Apply the primer as you would with paint, cut it in with a paintbrush, then roll it on your tile.
4. Finally, you can paint your tile with epoxy paint. Epoxy paint will adhere to tile the best, over any other type of paint. If you want to paint it one color, you can do so, or you can create a different look using a stencil. When stenciling, be sure to use more than one stencil just in case you get too much paint caked on the stencil. Be sure to start in the center of the room, then work your way out and around. Remember to leave yourself a way out of the room so you don't paint yourself into a corner.
5. Allow the paint to dry completely for at least 24 hours.
Painting tile can be a big job and one that you may not be able to handle all on your own. Consider hiring interior painting contractors to do this work for you.